Friday, December 19, 2008

Time Reflection

Here is a small project that I have started recently. Not a major sculpture but a fun and creative piece. It is a bathroom mirror with a countdown timer built into it.




According to the CIA the average lifespan for men in this country is 77.5 years or so. (Why does the CIA track that?)

I have just turned 40- so I figure that I should set the clock to countdown for 37.5 years.

Why a bathroom mirror? That is where we come face to face with our mortality and ageing. It is where we notice wrinkles, gray hair, etc. Most often we are alone at the moment when we look into it. It seems like the right place.

For the project I cut many small holes in the mirror and inserted the LEDs.

Soon I hope to mount the mirror in the case and hang it in the shared bathroom of the studio.

I have been noticing that one theme in my work is time. It seems like time wouldn't be a big part of sculpture but it is huge for me. I am very interested in vessels that change the relationship of time and space for us all. I am also very interested in time capsules and also projects like webcams that demonstrate the co-incidence (in the most literal meaning of the word) of time and events at different locations.

Once I came to the conclusion that this was a really important thread for my work I rushed to rewrite my artist statement. I think I overdid it a bit. These things are always a work in progress.

THe updates on my website are coming very soon- lots of new work.

Stay tuned.

No comments: