Monday, January 12, 2009

Floppy work





I have managed to get the new rubber piece. The rubber is actually neoprene rubber. It is a relatively soft even for this material. I used Copper hog rings to put it together. Often I have to live with a work for a while to see which direction it will go. In this case I have several ideas. One is to have the sculpture start off in the collapsed form, as in this photo. It collapses very nicely. A clockwork mechanism will slowly pull the work upright to the point where it is totally suspended then it will slowly return to the colapsed state. The whole process would take 6 hours or so. a person seeing it in a gallery would see it in one form or another but probably not both (collapsed and extended).

The other way to take this is to extend the concept of the copper/rubber material into the idea of conductor/ insulator. One thought here is to create a copper frame on which to stretch the rubber sculpture.

2 comments:

4thBG said...

I like the idea of the copper frame. That would be something I'd like to see.

AmirraM said...

This piece reminds me of footage of sea squids when pulled out of the water. All volumetric when in their element, but collapsed and shapeless in the air. Interesting piece!