Monday, March 2, 2009

110%

I have not updated the my studio blog for a while and it is not for a lack of action in my studio. I am working hard to get the two large works done for Providence Hood River Hospital. One of them is installed and the other, the corian work should be dont this week.

Doing large art is really like birthing a child- Conception is great fun and the excitement builds through the first trimester. AS it gets closer to being born the details and tactical decisions really start to weigh me down. Here I am at the end of the final trimester on a really big piece and the stress and excitement are both very high. It is a time when I am very creative: the creativity has nothing to do with the piece being born... it is a ton of new projects that are vying for their own time in the womb.

I love being an artist. It is really one of the hardest things I can imagine as I am always challenging myself with new materials techniques and scale. I tend to choose projects that are beyond where I am.
To do anything less than challenging wouldn't be interesting artistically. Am I different in this way? Do other artists feel the same drive to challenge the self? I feel like I am only really engaged in my work when it is 100% of my life energy.

I will ad some photos soon. Lots of photos taken, not so many made it to my computer...

1 comment:

4thBG said...

Glad to have you back on the blogosphere! Not on the same scale, but I understand your feelings. I have two pieces in my first juried show and I am now asking "whats next?". To top it off, my camera is stuck in the Ritz Camera bankruptcy mess, they have had it for a month and the local store did not answer the phone today. I'll stop by there tomorrow. I look forward to seeing your photos when posted.